Search engine optimization is the process of affecting the online visibility of a website or web page in a search engine’s unpaid results, often referred to as “natural” or “organic” results. Website owners need to consistently refine their SEO strategy to rank high among Google search results. This is because the ranking algorithms change much too frequently and the competition is huge. Several factors like keywords, content, meta tags, anchor text, and backlinks impact search engine ranking and can help achieve higher website traffic.
In this article, we focus on backlinks and how they can contribute to a better SEO ranking.
What are backlinks? A “backlink” is a link from another website to your site. Backlinks were the most important factor for search engine results page (SERP) ranking of websites before the importance of content and other ranking factors was recognized.
Importance of relevant backlinks: High-quality backlinks can create a positive impact on your SEO ranking. For example, for a food blog, a backlink from a famous chef’s personal blog can prove extremely relevant. However, backlinks from spam sites, harvested sites or paid sites will not improve your SERP ranking overnight. Moreover, Google algorithms place greater emphasis on links from high-domain authority sites related to your business.
How to get relevant backlinks: The below points can act as a guide to obtain useful backlinks for your site:
1. Create relevant and quality content for your target audience. This will increase the number of followers, who can also augment your shares on social media channels.
2. Be a guest blogger on top forums/blogs and include links to your site/channel.
3. Get influencers in your domain to review your products on their site.
4. Utilize Q&A sites like Quora or Stack exchange to generate traffic to your website. These sites can also help you engage with your prospective customers and increase brand awareness.
5. Review backlinks of your competitors using tools like SEMRUSH, Open Site Explorer and Open Link Profiler to fine-tune your SEO strategy.
Using the right backlinks in your overall SEO strategy can produce phenomenal results for your organization. Follow the set guidelines by search engines while making use of backlinks and you will soon see the desired results.