iPhone and other Apple devices have completely revolutionized the way things are done since there advent in 2007. Along with the advancement and constant innovation, Apple OS also brings some new challenges for developers with each subsequent version. IOS app developers must overcome these challenges to attract more and more users. Below we list a few of those specific challenges faced by iOS app developers:
1) Application Compatibility: Though compatibility issues are comparatively lesser, it is still a tough decision on which version of iOS will support a certain application. There are many Apple products available in the market and every iOS application must display compatibility with all of those products to be usable and popular. One solution to ensure compatibility is testing the application using TaaS to highlight issues and correct them.
2) Performance and Memory limitations: The iPhone device does not incorporate the garbage collection function and hence, memory management is a crucial challenge. There is a risk of application termination which is not a healthy scenario. It is important to remember that multiple devices run on one iOS version and all have different degrees of memory and storage. So even when you decide to develop the app for a single version, take into account that several other applications are huge and take an enormous amount of memory. The application you design should adjust to the device's memory and storage considerations.
Some phones are two generations old but running the latest OS, this won't run a new application. To reach a wider user base one needs to be cautious about the application requirements. If your app consumes a significant amount of battery or storage, people will tend to uninstall it even if it is useful. The app needs to operate properly in the background and avoid using too many processes that take up battery life.
It is well acknowledged that optimizing an app is not an easy task. Even the big sharks have issues ensuring their apps are battery-friendly for users. Therefore, creating a well-optimized app is an ongoing struggle and one needs to make constant improvements and sometimes considerable enhancements to achieve the same.
3) Network Conditions: Network speed does not concern every app developer, but if the app draws rich media like video or streaming service from the internet, it may be a good idea to pay heed to the network conditions. You will also need to pay close attention to mobile broadband reports. Users may operate the application at different network speeds and your app needs to pass an analysis by the Network Link Conditioner. A quick test can help streamline the app for weaker networks. One recent example is Netflix that chose to compromise on video quality to aid to varying data demands of their audience.
4) App Store Recommendation: App store approval is an equally important factor that decides whether your app is up to the mark. An app can be rejected for numerous reasons, few as simple as a simple rule violation. An app developer should be updated about the latest developments concerning app store criteria and regulations before starting with iOS app development. This will save time and avoid investment challenges.
5) User Interface: Any app should evolve as per the latest requirements of design and fashion to be considered valuable by users. iOS devices are preferred by people because of their clean design concept and superior user experience, however, the minimum screen size has always been a challenge. Thus, an app developer needs to work hard to create an attractive user interface and the best possible app experience using the limited screen space.
6) Beta User Testing: Beta testing is one of the most recognized ways to test an application as it enables users to check the application functionality and identify any failure conditions related to an application. Beta launch helps identify any possible breakdown or bug presence in your application which gives developers sufficient time to make necessary alterations before the actual app is launched and available to a vast set of users.
The above-mentioned challenges are the most common ones faced by iOS app developers. It is always best to take these into account when creating your app to create an optimal product and superior user experience.