Many businesses feel overwhelmed when it comes to deciding the type and amount of content to create. It is through an effective content marketing strategy that businesses can reach their intended audience and promote their business. Efficient content serves as a magnet that draws people to a business and gives an opportunity to convert them. Without an effective content marketing plan, it is fairly difficult to expect traffic on a website. In this post, we discuss how to create impressive content that aids to draw potential customers.
Content Marketing Strategy and its importance: Content is nothing more than text, audio, or video that provides information and resolves queries. Content marketing strategy incorporates a series of steps to follow to research, create, publish and promote information that is valuable to your audience. Quality is the key ingredient for every content marketing strategy. The internet is full of all sorts of content, some of it extremely helpful, others not so much. Developing good content is crucial to create consumer engagement and do better than your competitors. Without superior content, it is tough to be visible in the search engine results. A solid content marketing strategy is capable of generating three times more leads than paid advertising. Lead generation is one of the most important metrics businesses track. The more leads you bring in, the more opportunities you get to make sales. A well-thought content marketing strategy focuses on drawing a wider audience instead of spending too much on ads and other marketing means.
How to identify if you need a Content Marketing Strategy? A powerful content marketing plan is beneficial for almost any business, big or small. It is especially valuable to small businesses to improve visibility and brand engagement. Imagine you sell a consumer product and want more people to buy it. Instead of paying hefty amounts for advertising, you write articles that appeal to your target audience. The goal is to help them with their problems or goals for free. Due to those articles, prospects find your website, read your content, figure their answers, and continue to come back. When they need a product like the one you sell, your brand is at the top of their minds. In other words, a good strategy helps you create the right content at the right time and get your product in front of maximum users.
Impressive content also serves to get more conversions. Consumers convert when they are ready, but a content marketing strategy enables you to be there at the moment a prospect decides to buy. An efficacious strategy in place often separates the content marketing winners from those who never manage to reach their audiences because of poor marketing and content. With a strategy in place, you can better understand the specific keywords to target, the particular voice and tone to use in your content, specific points where you can mention your product and how to deliver a call to action.
Any business aims to serve content that can help people opt for their product or service. For this, however, it is important to show that you are an authority in your space. Offer more generous content than your competitors and devise a content marketing strategy that helps you reach people when they need you the most. Creating a Content Marketing Strategy That Converts
We offer here a step-by-step guide to ensure you reach as much audience as possible using your content.
1) Research Target Keywords: When someone types a search string in Google, they use keywords even without knowing they are doing it. As a content strategy planner, one needs to figure out keywords that serve to appeal to searchers. Ubersuggest is a good tool to find target keywords. One can start with a simple keyword and proceed to find long-tail keywords to add to the list.
There are several other free keyword research tools that can help target both competitive and non-competitive keywords. The key is to focus on longer-tail variations to get targeted traffic to your site. For instance, a keyword like “clothes” will target a wide range of people but the keyword “clothes for plus size people” will narrow down your audience, which assists in attracting and converting qualified leads.
2) Find Related Keywords: If you do not want to rely exclusively on a single keyword, you can try to mix in related keywords. Just search as many related keywords to a specific word so that Google can parse information quickly if a user uses one of those keywords. Many keywords have dual meanings so adding related keywords will help Google understand what type of search intent to target.
3) Design a Spreadsheet for Each Topic: A good strategy also involves creating a master spreadsheet that can be used as a template. That way one can copy it for each piece of content. Include target and related keywords and any other essential information in that spreadsheet. This way you can also share your ideas with other people on your team, receive feedback, and publish content as per an appropriate schedule. A spreadsheet, therefore, creates a more organized structure for your content marketing strategy.
4) Outline the Content: An outline helps organize your ideas and structure your articles so as to provide maximum impact, both for SEO and for the readers. It also helps decide what subtopics to cover and helps keep track of relevant ideas. Ideally, the outline should go into your spreadsheet. One can also label each subtopic in the outline with a related heading tag and specify other useful information. For instance, under each subtopic, you could include statistics or links to include as per the content.
5) Form a Draft of your Content: You can use WordPress or any other preferred content management system like Microsoft Office or Google Docs to create a draft of the content you want to create. After you write your draft, take some time before editing it or preferably send it to a trusted editor who can point mistakes or other issues with the content.
6) Design a Publication and Promotion Schedule: It is upon your discretion how often you want to publish your content since consistency matters more than frequency. For instance, if you publish new content every weekend, your readers will know when to check for your latest offering. Hence, it good to try to publish content on consistent days and at consistent times.
It is also imperative to schedule content promotion. Posting about your new content on social media and emailing relevant people to inform them of new updates can have a drastic impact on the number of people accessible by your content and promotions. Facebook is one tool that allows you to schedule content in advance.
7) Conduct Influencer Outreach: When you have certain people or brands mentioned in your content, it is good to reach out to them and ask them to share their views on your content and also share your content on their profiles. A higher number of people contacted results in a higher number of shares. You might also find it fruitful to connect with people who find your content interesting and have large online followings. These people, called Influencers, can affect a content’s popularity, so if you have an exceptional piece of content, you can use the power of influencers to engage a larger audience. Focus on building lasting relationships with such influential individuals and you can offer to help them in return by giving space on your website or other such means.
8) Internal Linking: Internal linking helps upgrade your content ranking in the SERPs, thereby, retaining people on the page. What a business really wants is to develop content that encourages visitors to further explore the site instead of just clicking away after a visit.
As you build and add new content to your website, what proves beneficial is to go back to old articles and add relevant links to newer pieces. Certain plugins help get automatic suggestions for internal links and this speeds up the linking process considerably. However, ensure high-quality internal links are used and optimize your anchor text for the target article. Instead of using meaningless phrases like “click here”, incorporate internal links naturally using anchor text with relevant keywords.
Developing a Content Marketing Strategy: Checklist. Here we provide a handy checklist to build an effective content marketing strategy:
1) Keyword Research: Develop an extensive list of keywords related to your products, services, or brand. Make sure to update this list constantly to include new keyword ideas so you always have enough content.
2) Content Goals: Keep in mind your end goal while creating and publishing content. Each piece of content should pertain to a certain goal so as to create an enticing result.
3) Content-Length: Deciding on the size of content can be tricky. Long-form content often gets better traction in the SERPs because it carries sufficient information, however, if the topic doesn’t justify 5,000 words, keep the content shorter.
4) Style Guide: Creating a style guide implies keeping each piece of content in a consistent voice, tone, and appearance. One can include details like spelling and capitalization of brand terms, number of images and subheadings for each article.
5) Pillar Pages: Pillar pages are high-level pieces of content that target your most desired keywords. Remember to consistently link your pillar pages throughout the articles.
6) Non-Text Content: Creating videos, infographics, and interactive content to work alongside your text-based content can make your articles more engaging.
7) Writing and Revising: Develop a system or assign someone for regularly proofing content so it reflects your best work and mistakes are avoided.
8) Target Audience: Every piece of content should be aimed at a particular segment of your target market.
9) Promotion: Determine the appropriate content marketing strategy including email marketing, influencer outreach and the like.
High-Converting Content Marketing Strategy Examples. Below we provide a few examples of effective content marketing strategies to assist you in developing one:
1) Backlinko: Brian Dean of Backlinko became the most referenced blogger in the marketing sphere by publishing extensive, keyword-rich articles instead of short, succinct ones and even though he only has a few dozen articles on his blog, his viewer following is massive. He largely benefitted by promoting his content by asking for links and shares and through email outreach.
2) Zappos: Zappos uses its blog to attract a huge audience. However, they don’t just write articles about their products but, instead, cover a wide range of topics to appeal to the target audience. The topics include local color pieces, tips on travel, and information like how to make your shoes and clothing last longer. Some of this data may appear counterintuitive, but the information is endearing and fosters customer trust.
3) Hubengage: Hubengage app helps bolster employee engagement by publishing articles on how to create happier and motivated employees. They don’t shy away from publishing use cases, even if those pertain to their competitors. Hubengage’s content marketing strategy is diverse but always attuned to its audience. The company is also an excellent example of how promotional posts can boost your content marketing strategy.
Conclusion: An effective content marketing strategy can be developed if a business understands its goals and what kind of content can help achieve those specific goals. The information in this link can assist new businesses in improvising a successful content marketing strategy, however, one can gain valuable insights by studying successful brands, their content strategies, failures, and accomplishments and, additionally, paying attention to changing trends in user preferences.