If your business generates traffic using web search, you can be very sure you are in stiff competition with a number of other businesses trying to make a name for themselves. Around 3.5 billion searches are done in a single day indicating fierce competition globally. To stand anywhere in this competition, you need to ensure the implementation of a strong search engine optimization(SEO) strategy.
An effective SEO acts as a bridge that connects customers to your business and helps generates leads. Statistics indicate 33% odds of getting clicked for top results, which translates into a third of potential traffic to your website. A majority of users never move to the next page of the Google search results and SEO is what will help you avoid landing up on the second page.
It is, therefore, essential for any website creator to employ means to improve their organic ranking to bring in more and more traffic to their business. In this regard, here are eleven ways to increase your organic ranking:
1. Quality Content: Content is what holds your audience’s attention. Meaningful and relevant content is useful in keeping a person on your website and increase their dwell times which, subsequently, increases your organic ranking. Also, original and high-quality content attracts visitors and entices them to return to your website. In this way, visitors keep coming back to your website, which gets you more traffic.
2. Originality: SEO stands on the foundation of individuality and originality. Repetitive or duplicate content adversely affects your organic ranking. Avoid republishing articles from other sources and instead focus on generating some fresh and engaging content to improve your SEO ranking. There are tools that sniff out plagiarism and help avoid unintentional duplication. Original content serves to build user trust and keeps them coming back to your page.
3. Fast Page Loading Times: A slow loading website proves extremely damaging since Google’s algorithms are designed to detect the crawling pace, which naturally hurts your site’s organic ranking. Moreover, a slow speed greatly reduces customer conversion rates and magnifies the abandonment rates for your business. If visitors don’t engage with your website, it will surely affect your search engine ranking.
There is sufficient data available to prove that as many as 40% of visitors leave a site if a page loads in more than 3 seconds. Around 80% never return to a slow-loading website. In contrast, visitors keep coming back to a fast loading page. This indicates the importance of optimizing page load times of your website. This can be done in several ways including image optimization and reduction in heavy loading content.
4. Image Optimization: A picture is worth a thousand words. Images captivate a viewer’s attention and using high-quality images for your website is of supreme importance. However, at the same time, it is essential to ensure those images are optimized to reduce page load time. Factors like file size and format play a critical role in boosting organic ranking. Consider compressing or resizing images to improve page load speeds. To provide a relevance between image content and search engine, you can also use keywords in the image’s title, description, alt tag, file name, and caption.
5. Use Header Tags: Content without any frills fails to get any attention from the reader. Proper formatting helps enhance user experience and motivates readers to spend more time on your site per visit. Additionally, through a well-formatted site, you can influence user intentions to return to the website and this proves instrumental in tweaking your organic ranking.
Header tags are one way of forming a well organized and appealing content page. They break content into sections, making it easier to read. You can include keywords in your heading, as keywords in header tags are ranked highly by search engines which spikes your SEO ranking.
6. Proper Formatting: A user-friendly structure improves the user experience, boosts the dwell time and increases visitor engagement. Therefore, it is important to dedicate sufficient time to your webpage architecture as user engagement is again a vital element for a high organic ranking. Ensure that the layout is clean, uncluttered and properly organized. The typography and font size should be chosen so as to promote easy reading. Paragraphs should be concise with ample line spacing. The use of bold font, italics, and colored text is totally encouraged.
To better put your ideas, format your content as checklists or bullet points that enhance clarity. Bullet points allow readers to scan through the text and attain maximum information. Then, there are header tags that also improve formatting. Avoid using too many pictures, colors or advertisements as these leave a devious impression of the website.
7. Attractive Meta Description: The meta description gives a quick peek into the webpage content. This description is displayed under the page title. It is here that a visitor decides if he wants to click and read your material, which is known as the click-through rate. A compelling text in this area has the potential to swell the click-through rate. You can add keywords in this text since the words which align with the searcher’s query are shown in bold. It is imperative to make sure that the preview of your content is worth visiting. Never use the same meta-text over and over again as this discourages user involvement.
8. Blogging: Blogging is now a great tool for any business as publishing blog posts improves the chances of a positive ROI. Blogging helps remove some great marketing challenges faced by both B2B and B2C companies. Businesses that run a blog are likely to have a very high percentage of indexed pages which are essential factors for SEO as your business content remains in constant view in search engines. Consequently, a search engine is better able to recognize your website and suggest it to users.
Blogs have time and again proven helpful in attracting, engaging and retaining visitors. Whip out some interesting content for your users and incorporate crucial links and images in your blog post. With the right set of blogging techniques and great content, you will be able to generate more traffic to your site and also boost the organic ranking of your business.
9. Readable Content: The content quality highly influences the dwell time of your website. Effective content reduces the bounce rate and raises levels of audience retention. Good readability, therefore, correlates with improved organic ranking. Some tips to enhance readability include the use of bullet points, headings, short paragraphs and simple words in short sentences. Also, prefer active voice over passive voice while creating any piece of content.
10. Linking with Outbound Links: Linking your website to authoritative sources increases content relevance and boosts the per visit time of readers. Incorporating outbound links to your site gives a trustworthy look and improves the authority of your website, thus, contributing to a better organic ranking. However, their use should be kept limited as excessive use of outbound links can be distracting. It is also pivotal to fix any broken links as these can adversely affect your search engine ranking. A broken link error can be annoying for the reader and send wrong signals to the search engine, resulting in loss of SEO ranking.
11. Keyword Research: Keyword research sets the framework for your organic ranking. You can use keyword search tools to assist in picking out keywords to shape your content. One relevant keyword helps uncover other essential ones that you can use in your content. This chain of keywords helps locate your website in search engines.
Also, take care of the length of the content being used. Usually, a long copy is more useful than a short one as it allows you to insert more keywords, multiplies the dwell time and also gives an opportunity to add outbound links resulting in better organic ranking.
To sum up, a high organic ranking, therefore, demands constant effort and attention. Focus on the above-mentioned points like fresh and quality content, use of keywords, good layout and formatting, fast page load times, readability and inclusion of outbound links to boost your organic ranking.