Web designing incorporates the use of scientific structures to create an art form for industry use. Though part of the job is based on sound coding and design know-how, what works best is an intuitive mindset. A successful web designer needs to look beyond the general picture and develop an advanced set of skills to make his designs stand out and gain an edge on the rest.
The big question: How do you develop these specific skills? Well, it trickles down to basic formal and informal education combined with practical industry experience. Anyone wishing to excel in this field needs to push beyond his comfort limits and challenge himself regularly. Clients appreciate creativity and uniqueness and that’s what web designing is all about.
Below is a list of some core fundamentals that all good web designers should inculcate to achieve distinction in this field. Surprisingly not all involve technical knowledge.
1) Know the design process: It definitely helps to know the complete set of steps to follow while creating a new design. The process starts with creating a blueprint, goes on to using the correct shape and color, putting the right information and ends with delivering a successful working design.
2) Be thorough in HTML: HTML is the tool of every web designer and one should know is complete.
3) Commit to continuous learning: The simple mantra for every web designer is: Learn and Improve, constantly. Take on challenges, solve one problem at a time, be open to failures and learn through the process.
4) Develop some Business skills: Having some business skills handy helps advance your client base, helps progress faster in the organizational chart and also benefits in the compensation area.
5) Be a good listener: Listen, take notes, understand and work. Understanding client requirements and projecting the same in your work will help build a successful rapport.
6) Goals: Set realistic goals and aim to achieve them. Learn the basics, improve and appreciate small wins, the rest will follow.