A landing page is the web page that appears when a user clicks on a link displayed in Google search results. Homepages frequently serve as landing pages, but practically any other page can be a landing page. With the growing use of online marketing, designers create specific landing pages that complement targeted ad campaigns. Many brands have also begun to build their homepages following the same principles. This practice is especially common among single-product brands like WhatsApp, Evernote, Slack, etc.
The main business goal of a landing page is conversion rate optimization (CRO). Designers use many best practices to increase conversion rates and below we explain 10 UX design techniques that can be used to create high-converting landing pages.
1. Focus on CTA: In many cases, landing pages are filled with too much information that confuses users and compels them to go elsewhere. To avoid this, the first question to ponder upon is: What is the business goal? Subsequently, focus on questions like do you want people to download your app or get beta testers or simply launch a new product? Once you give a thorough thought to these questions, work to convert these goals to a compelling call-to-action (CTA).
For example, check the landing page of a famous clothing site or famous app. You can figure at the first sight that they want people to sign up to their app or website. The message stays consistent throughout the page and a lot of unnecessary information is removed to avoid overwhelming the users.
2. Highlight the main benefits: An engaging headline is extremely important to create a high-converting landing page. A good headline is short, attractive and focuses on the main goal. A frequent error in landing pages is that the headline specifies the product’s benefits from the site owner’s point of view. However, it can turn visitors into prospects only if it shows the product’s advantages from the user’s point of view.
For instance, Uber‘s landing page has a brilliant headline “Get There”. It is concise but captures the real essence of the service. Many other brands use such catchy headlines that also shout the real motive or product they are selling.
3. Show how the product works: Many people tend to consider buying a product only when they see it themselves. Therefore, showing a visual representation of how a product works will aid to persuade a larger audience to consider a purchase. This method works especially well if you use the illustration as a hero image. Hero images, also called header images, are full-width images above the fold that serve as background for the headline, sometimes a short description or the call-to-action buttons.
The landing page of PayPal’s credit card readers shows the working of the product in two different ways at the same time. In the foreground, you see a product photo of two card readers and the PayPal app. In the background, there are two people in the midst of using the product. The two images support each other and serve to provide all the information required by customers.
4. Use of unique layouts: To guarantee the success of your landing page, you need to create something different and innovative. Using unusual layouts is one of the ways to do this. Presenting the information in an unusual layout, instead of the age-old box-style layouts, can make a viewer more interested in your product. It is one of the best ways to catch the eye of the target audience immediately after landing on the page.
5. Include Logos of Reputable Brands: Inclusion of logos of reputable brands can work wonders for a new product or service. These logos work as visual guides for visitors who are unconsciously scanning the page for proof that the product is made by a trustworthy company. One can include logos of clients or partners or if your product or company has been featured in a credible publication you can always add a “Featured in” section. You can also add the logo of a well-known brand if your product somehow complements or enhances another product from the brand.
6. Unique Graphics: Unique graphics intend to make the page stand out of the crowd and leave a lasting impression on the viewer. Web designers employ unique graphics in their work in several creative ways such as hand-drawn product photos, custom icon sets, well-crafted characters representing the users or the creators, and even comic strips.
7. Include Data or Statistics: Using numeric data on web pages is a recent web design trend that serves to gain user trust by showing data visually by either featuring numbers/percentages or including graphs/charts in the design. One platform that uses this technique is the Hotelchamp booking platform. They use the right amount of figures and the right set of parameters to be presented so that only the relevant numbers are shown and users are not overloaded with information.
8. Easily available Customer Service: The landing page also needs to offer quick and reliable customer service details so that users have somewhere to go for questions. This is also important to achieve high conversion rates for your landing page. Customer service can be provided in email form, live chat bubble or a direct call button.
GoDaddy’s SEO services employ this method elegantly. A “Request a Call” button appears in the sticky header and is constantly available while the user scrolls down the page. Moreover, the bottom right corner has a live chat icon which is also available at all times. This suggests a way of giving customers the power to choose and is a great marketing tactic.
9. CTA repetition: Repeating the call to action on different spots of the landing page is a well-known marketing technique. Many designers choose to repeat the button in the sticky header so it stays visible when the user scrolls down the page. However, if you have a long scroll landing page, repeating CTA at the bottom of the page is an even better idea.
10. Use a different CTA Button Design: For a high landing page conversion rate, you need a call-to-action button that visually stands out from the rest of the page. Color, shape, position and layout, all matter when it comes to the CTA button design. It should fit well with the rest of the page layout and be easily accessible to users.
In conclusion, knowing the principles of how to create a high-converting landing page is just the first step to master the trade. One can continually improve their technique by seeing examples and analyzing the work of other designers who have created successful landing pages for big brands.